Windscreens

The obligatory "general chat" forum. Say what you like!
John Steed

Windscreens

Post by John Steed » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:41 pm

Here's a question I am curious about, who has Toughened Windscreens still in their wedges, both my Wolseley's still have their original Toughened Sundym Screens.

A friend of mine has recommended several times swapping to a Laminated screen I have, but it isn't original or tinted so I want to keep the original.

But here's my question, how durable are the Toughened screens?

Obviously with Laminated screens you can have several chips of varying sizes and the screen stays intact and can still pass an mot depending on the location of the chips. But would a Toughened screen still take small stone chips etc or would it just totally smash, which is what someone has advised me ?

Forgive my ignorance I'm just a bit curious about the differences between Toughened and Laminated screens.

Gasman

Re: Windscreens

Post by Gasman » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:11 pm

Toughened screens are heat tempered which makes the glass stronger and more resistant to damage but if subjected to stone hits etc of sufficient force they will craze over completely (not just where the stone has hit) reducing vision to near zero which is sub-optimal. They did produce zone toughened glass where the size of shattered particles is bigger in front of the driver giving slightly better vision if the screen shatters.

In your position I would take the view Wolseley's had Sundym glass and that's what it should have although I would personally prefer laminated to toughened.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

John Steed

Post by John Steed » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:48 pm

Thank you Martin, that's very much appreciated and what I feared :(

Ideally i'd like the cars to be as safe and user friendly as possible, which in an Ideal world would be to have later Laminated Sundym glass in both. I've just checked my spare screens and one of them is Laminated but unfortunately only clear glass, perhaps from a Lower spec model.

I don't suppose anyone would have any Laminated Sundym windscreens available, if so perhaps something could be arranged with someone attending a future gathering.

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:57 pm

It my be an urban myth but I understand Triplex (or is it Pilkington!) have all their old templates and can make up authentic replacements to order. No idea how much they charge though. It doesn't sound a cheap process.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974

John Steed

Post by John Steed » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:23 pm

I have read on the Pilkington glass website that they can remake most Classic glass and even brand it with the Original Triplex or other brand names, however I do also believe that it could be very expensive, as mine technically aren't damaged the £75 insurance excess would be no good I suspect :lol:

I shall keep my eyes peeled in the mean time, I may just use the Clear Laminated one for the Blue Wolseley as it will most likely see more action than the White one which will probably just keep it's Original Sundym Toughened screen.

John Steed

Post by John Steed » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:28 pm

So, interestingly I have been onto the Pilkington classic glass website, and they list glass for all popular Leyland and Austin/Morris vehicles, except, you guessed it, the Princess :(

So it looks like that route may be a dead end, though I have emailed them to enquire if perhaps they can do them but it was just left off the list :(

In the mean time if anyone has any Laminated Tinted screens and may be visiting the NEC later this year i would be extremely interested.

John Steed

Post by John Steed » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:18 am

This is the response I've received from Pilkington. Could anyone confirm which is the correct for my wolseleys sundym screen, I'm guessing green but is it green or green with green top ?
Attachments
20190723_101619.jpg
20190723_101619.jpg (173.18 KiB) Viewed 414 times

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:18 am

Green. They don't say whether they are laminated or toughened that I can see. I was not aware they did such a range of 'screens!

Green with a green top means there is a darker green 'strip' across the top of the screen, a bit like the black across the bottom. It's useful for blocking the sun, (I had it on my Elan), but not an option to my knowledge on the Wolseley (according to my parts catalogue!)

However, I would check with them before ordering that it is what you are expecting particularly with regard to the black at the bottom of the screen to hide the wipers.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

John Steed

Post by John Steed » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:45 pm

Thanks Martin, that's great. I know it doesn't say regarding toughened or laminated, I did read somewhere that they have to be laminated now as they are no longer allowed to produce toughened windscreens, however I have messaged them to confirm.

I've also enquired with regard to the black along the bottom aswell, would the black band be able to be painted on or a vinyl sort of wrap/sticker if it came without?

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:37 pm

I haven't had to re-black the bottom of the windscreen so have no personal experience. I know of some who have done this by spraying in situ although not sure what sort of primer they used and others have used vinyl which sounds near impossible in situ to me!
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:

John Steed

Post by John Steed » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:50 pm

I've just had correspondence back from Pilkington and it's good news. All screens are laminated as standard and princess ones will have the black band on the bottom, great news. 😁
Attachments
20190724_124727.jpg
20190724_124727.jpg (105.18 KiB) Viewed 385 times

hiddenevil

Post by hiddenevil » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:46 pm

Are you planning on ordering?

I would be interested to see how it looks

Don’t suppose rear screens are available?

John Steed

Post by John Steed » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:05 pm

As soon as the car is back from the Sprayers I plan on ordering, I'm holding off just now as I don't want it in the way :)

There are some rear screens nos on the popular auction site from an international seller, he appears to have different ones but not cheap either :(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DZB3630-Rear ... SwC8Zb6vzg