Finally got my Princess 2 2200 HLS home...

All Princess models specific items.
Simon M

Finally got my Princess 2 2200 HLS home...

Post by Simon M » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:38 pm

Well, and with the BW35 auto-box rebuild completed, I've been able to pick up the Princess from Forfar Angus, and bring it back to Dorset. I'd like to have been able to say that it made it the entire way under its own steam... but unfortunately the fuel pump failed near the Scotland/England border so the rest of the journey was on the back of a tow truck! Still the auto box was behaving itself prior to this which is the main thing!

So, I've been looking to find a new fuel pump for the 2200 auto... It's a 1981 car, and I've been confused by what looks to be a larger number of variants than I would have expected... one for a manual and several for auto's, perhaps different for Princess 2 than Princess? Can anyone confirm the part number for a late Princess and maybe advise on pumps brands to go for or avoid, as unusually there seem to be a choice of makes!?

While on the subject of parts, and as it's been parked outside in the recent heavy rain, a number of leaks have become apparent. The main ones are at the top of the windscreen, and on inspection the rubber is perished and not fitting back against the vinyl very well... so I'm thinking it will need a new rubber? And then water is also dripping from the top of both front doors onto seats/carpet which will need new door rubbers... any advice on what to use would be appreciated.. The current ones are felt on one side which is nice but I'm guessing this type will not be available anywhere?

I could go on asking questions about lesser bits that are needed for fettling for some time, but will leave this for another post!!

Hoping all you fine people can help with the above!

Peter Laursen

Re: Finally got my Princess 2 2200 HLS home...

Post by Peter Laursen » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 am

Door seals are available from Woolies: https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/37/side-seals
Peter
Princess 2200 HLS 1975
Morris 1800 MK1
Wolseley 18/85 MK1
MGB Roadster MK1

100 Club

Post by 100 Club » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:30 pm

The club had some front windscreen rubbers remanufactured a couple of years ago, maybe there will be a spare one or two remaining?

Regarding fuel pumps, ideally find a genuine old stock BL/Unipart, SU, AP or QH pump.

I am not sure why there are multiple variants listed for the 2200, although I would accept manual and automatic being different. There might have been a change when Princess 2 came on line, as the engine was repositioned in the engine bay to reduce driveshaft wear(!) and this may have required the angle at which the pipes were connected to the fuel pump to be altered?
Princess 2 2000HL, Reynard metallic
Princess 100 Club Special

Daily drive: MG ZR Trophy 115 TD

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

beiderbecke

Post by beiderbecke » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:32 pm

:!: Depends...if it's bolted on and the pipes are 90 degrees to the engine It's AUF 817; if it's 45 degrees bolted it's AUF 818 and if they are held by nuts and parallel it's AUF 810. I think that's right...BTWDIK...

Simon M

Post by Simon M » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:57 pm

Good grief, no wonder I was confused!! I'll have another look when I get the chance - maybe try to get a decent picture of the fuel pump to be 100%.

Peter, thanks v much for the link to the woolies site, but I wonder, which of the seals on the linked page would be the best to use - mine has a black interior, but would i be correct in thinking that the smart felt ones would not have enough rubber seal depth on them?

I'll make some enquiries about the screen rubbers - I would assume that now that the tooling exists (thanks to the club) that more could be produced??

Peter Laursen

Post by Peter Laursen » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:51 am

Door seals: I have used the felt one (blue), and it fits perfectly.
Princess 2200 HLS 1975
Morris 1800 MK1
Wolseley 18/85 MK1
MGB Roadster MK1

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:42 pm

Afraid I've been neglecting the forum whilst I've been at the NEC so only just catching up. Apologies for that.

I used Woolies door seals on my Wolseley but you've already sorted that with Peter's help.

Like 100club, I don't quite understand the confusion with fuel pumps. There are 3 mechanical pumps for the wedge. 1 for the 1800, 1 for the 2200 manual (with pipes coming off at 45 degrees) & 1 for the 2200 auto (pipes at 90 degrees) which, as Beiderbecke says, is AUF810. No change throughout production. The O series engines, of course, have electric pumps in the tank. What I am unclear of is why the manual & auto ones are different. Whatever. Moprod ones are cheaper in price and more available but , I strongly suspect, cheaper in quality. I fitted an SU Burlen one to SMG - expensive at £78 - but (so far) haven't regretted it. The new Moprod one I had previously put on had failed. Incidentally, Burlen say that AUF810 fits an 1800. They are wrong. If you are changing this yourself be careful you don't drop the push rod (that works the pump) into the engine. It's bad news!

http://sucarb.co.uk/catalogsearch/resul ... +1800+pump

More windscreen rubbers should now be no problem to produce but we need to have a minimum run of £25 which is financially a bigger problem.

Very sorry the run down from the North Pole to the Sunny South was not straightforward but delighted the auto g/b is now cured. Hopefully you had breakdown insurance. I'd be very interested to know what was actually wrong with the gearbox. The 'expert' gearbox man the previous owner used did not seem to be much of an expert to me.

Don't be shy of posting more queries. We are all here to help as best we can.
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:51 pm

If i remember correctly, on the Princess 2 the engine sits at a different angle.....
There are also 3 different water pumps for a 2200 !!! (totally irrelevant to this thread I know!)

Gasman

Post by Gasman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:43 pm

As far as I am aware the 2200 automatic was mounted the same throughout its life through P1 & P2. Certainly, part numbers did not change.

Notoriously, they changed the mounting of the 2200 manual to reduce the angle of the drive shafts. Manual production was stopped and the Special Six announced to cover the gap.

You learn something new every day. I was unaware of a 3rd water pump for the 2200. They changed from a 3 bolt pulley to a four bolt pulley later during P2 production but what was the third one?
Martin
Club Treasurer

Owner of:
Oldest known surviving wedge, hand-built 15th Pre-Production Wolseley in June 1974
Last Ambassador down the line in November 1983, Austin Ambassador VDP